Villa-Lobos Guitar Competition
The competition of this edition is an Homage to the Brazilian composer Heitor Villa-Lobos (1887-1959), which in 2019 is the 60th anniversary of his death. Because of his great contribution to the development of music, he is considered one of the most important Latin American composers. His research in folk music and his interest in classical music enabled him to create fabulous works for solo, chamber and symphony instruments. Even after all these years, his music is still modern, sophisticated and avant-garde, with a very own style, which results from the mixture of Iberian, indigenous and African roots.
The guitar was not the main instrument of Villa-Lobos, but it was one of his favorites. He was a great improviser and had a unique technique that interested some virtuosos such as Andrés Segovia, whom Villa-Lobos dedicated works that are now considered indispensable in classical guitar repertoire.
As in previous editions, the competition is divided into two rounds. The preliminary round is closed, here the participants send an unedited video of the piece "Choros no. 1 pour guitarre" in which they demonstrate their level of musical performance. The final round is public, each finalist interprets 20 minutes of free repertoire, which includes at least one work of Villa-Lobos. The jury consists of the renowned guitarists Alfonso Montes, Paulo Bellinati and Cristina Azuma.
We are welcoming you on 9th November 2019 at 10 clock in the “Tübinger Musikschule”.
Guitarists of any nationality under 26 years old at the date of the contest, except for the first three places of the Ponce Guitar Competition 2018. The number of participants is limited.
An unedited or post-produced MP4 format video of: “Choros no. 1” Heitor Villa-Lobos, Max Eschig editions to the e-mail address:
Registration deadline and videos reception 7th October 2019, there will be no extension.
The finalists will be published with anticipation.
Final (9th November 2019)
Free repertoire (maximum 20 min.) that includes a guitarwork of Heitor Villa-Lobos.
|1st place||1500 €|
|2nd place||750 €|
|3rd place||500 €|
|Alfonso Montes||Venezuela - Deutschland|
- The pieces will be played from memory.
- The jury's decision is ultimate.
- The award ceremony will take place on 9th November 2019 in the last edition winner´s concert.
- Registration is subject to a fee of € 50, which will be to pay on the following account:
Verein zur Förderung iberoamerikanischer Kultur e.V.
Villa-Lobos Guitar Competition
IBAN: DE42 6415 0020 0001 8029 08
- Registration deadline and video reception 7th October 2019.
- Expenditures for hotel, food, travel and transportation must be paid by the participants themselves.
- The organizers of the competition are allowed to record, distribute and reproduce each performance of the competition, without payment to competitors.
- Unforeseen events are solved by the organizers and the jury.
- With the registration the participants agree to the terms and conditions listed in this call.